Sunday, 23 October 2011

Karatedo - A way of Life



I came across a couple of inspirational videos on YouTube recently, well, they inspired the hec out of me anyway. In the first short film the music is great, the footage is even better. I want to thank Mason Bergeron for posting the first of these, it's a wonderful advert for Okinawan karate. If I was 40 years younger and hadn't been to Okinawa before seeing this short film, I'd be on the next flight out!

A couple of things to watch out for; first, the young man with the tattoos taking part in the grading. You first see him sparring, and then for a brief moment at the start of what looks like sanchin kata. You'll get to meet him in the second film. The other thing to look out for is the young man holding the protection sheet during the third (chudan) break in the demonstration. Ouch!!!!!


In this short documentary you get to see more of the day to day training Mason and his dojo colleagues undergo with their sensei, Kiyohide Shinjo, at the Kenyukai Honbu dojo in Yomitan, Okinawa. It was a B.B.C. television documentary similar to this, featuring Morio Higaonna sensei, that inspired me to make my first trip to Okinawa almost 30 years ago; and I've been returning to the island regularly ever since.